If you’re a big fan of Deciem products like ourselves here at Obviously Skincare, you may be wondering which products will work best for your aging or mature skin. We’ve made a skincare routine/regimen for aging and mature skin only using products by The Ordinary.
The focus we had in mind is to restore hydration, minimise signs of aging and protect the skin. Luckily The Ordinary have a complete range of products that tackle signs of skin aging, with the added benefit of being at a very reasonable price point.
Mature/Aging Skin Type
Mature or aging skin has many characteristic qualities, these are:
- Drier, less hydrated skin
- Deep or shallow wrinkles around face and neck
- Large pores due to reduced skin firmness
- Loose, sagging skin due to reduced elastin and collagen
- Hyperpigmentation and age spots
- Fine lines
The goal when establishing any skincare regimen or routine is therefore to provide mature skin with much needed hydration. Often the skin looks very dehydrated and this can worsen the appearance of wrinkles and lines in the skin.
Other concerns include reducing signs of aging, slowing down the aging process, reducing the size of pores and boosting collagen production.
The Ordinary Regimen For Mature/Aging Skin
This section has been split into morning and night routines using products that are only from The Ordinary. Continued use of this routine can completely transform your complexion and give your aging/mature skin a much needed glow.
- Squalane Cleanser: Cleansing should be the first step in any skincare routine. This squalane cleanser is an excellent first step as it will clear the skin of any makeup, dirt, oils and impurities without overly drying the skin. Read more about Squalane here…
- Glycolic Acid 7% Toning Solution: This toning solution by The Ordinary contains glycolic acid which works to boost skin radiance and texture. Continued use of glycolic acid can help battle scars, reduce the size of pores, as well as boost collagen production. The addition of aloe vera also helps to hydrate and soothe the skin.
- “Buffet” + Copper Peptides 1%: This is a serum that works to tackle multiple signs of aging at once. Peptides work to promote collagen synthesis and fight inflammation.
- Hyaluronic Acid 2% + B5: Hyaluronic Acid is an excellent humectant which works to draw water from it’s surroundings to deliver deep skin hydration. This product can give mature skin the hydration it needs, skin is immediately more plump and fine lines are minimised.
- Natural Moisturizing Factors + HA: NMF’s work to provide a protective barrier on the outer layer of the skin. Not only will these protect the skin from pollutants and free radical damage, but it also means the skin’s moisture is locked in.
- Mineral UV Filters SPF 30 with Antioxidants: This SPF formula contains SPF 30 to protect your skin from sun damage which is known to accelerate skin aging. Free radicals are neutralized, transepidermal water loss is reduced and the skin stays hydrated for longer.
- Squalane Cleanser: Cleansing before bed is an essential step to clear away all the dirt, pollutants and oils that built up on your face during the day. This squalane cleanser is perfect for morning and night use, one less thing to worry about.
- Hyaluronic Acid 2% + B5: Hyaluronic Acid will work all night to keep the skin hydrated and therefore promote collagen synthesis. It will also restore moisture lost as a result of acidic treatments or damage from the elements.
- Resveratrol 3% + Ferulic Acid 3%: One of the most potent anti-aging ingredients available.
- Vitamin C Suspension 23% + HA Spheres 2%: A potent anti-oxidant solution which will work to combat free radical damage as well as brighten and tighten the complexion overnight.
- Retinol 1% in Squalane (On alternate days to Vitamin C and Ferulic Acid): A high strength retinol formulation with squalane. If you’re new to retinol try a lower strength retinol such as 0.2% or 0.5%. Retinol is a form of Vitamin-A that promotes collagen synthesis and can therefore reduce signs of aging on mature skin.
- 100% Plant-Derived Squalane (Optional): Squalane is an excellent skin moisturiser with many skin health boosting properties. This step is optional as the retinol formulation already contains squalane. If however you’re on an alternate day and not using retinol, then it’s perhaps best to apply this squalane solution.
Also try The Ordinary: AHA 30% + BHA 2% Peeling Solution. This solution provides a 10 minute facial which can brighten the skin, fade age spots and hyperpigmentation as well as boost collagen production.