Skincare fridges have definitely been the talk of the town for a while now. These fridges supposedly improve the shelf life of products and improve the effectiveness of certain treatments amongst other things. But are these fridges really worth it? Read on to find out.
What is a skincare fridge?
By ‘skincare fridge’ we’re simply referring to a fridge that is used for your skincare products. This typically means a smaller, mini-fridge that you can place in your room for easy access. You don’t want to be walking to your kitchen fridge every time you want a skincare product; it’s best to invest in a small one you can place in your room.
Although a mini skincare fridge will makes things significantly easier, it’s no different to using your regular kitchen fridge. The problem with using your kitchen fridge is that your products may absorb some of the smells. Not the worst thing to happen, just something to note.
The benefits of using a skincare fridge
At this point you might be wondering “is it worth it?”. A fridge can take up room and the low pitch electrical whirr might get on your nerves. Rest assured though that a skincare fridge is an essential investment. Below are a few benefits of using a skincare fridge:
- Skincare fridges preserve products: This is especially important with natural/organic products which typically have a shorter shelf life. Putting your skincare products in the fridge is much like putting food in the fridge to keep it fresher for longer. The low temperatures will help prevent bacteria forming and will also prevent the products from going off. This is good news considering natural products are typically more expensive.
- Skincare fridges cool products, deliver calming, therapeutic effects: By placing products such as face masks, serums and moisturisers in the fridge you’ll be cooling them down. This low temperature feels especially pleasant on the skin and can help reduce inflammation. This is particularly therapeutic on hotter days.
- Invigorating mists: Placing a face mist in the fridge is a game changer. A few sprays on a hot day can give you a completely refreshed feeling, as well as calm skin redness and irritation.
- Eye treatments will be more effective: Eye serums, eye pads, or even jade rollers will be better at combating under eye bags and puffiness once chilled. You’ll have to try this one for yourself.
- Improved organisation: If you’re anything like me, your skincare collection is a bit of mess. Serums here, moisturisers there, scattered all over the room. A skincare fridge can get rid of the fuss, most if not all of your products will be in a convenient location.
Skincare products you should be putting in your fridge
You can put most skincare products in your fridge to extend their shelf life. Below are just a few:
- Facial mists: We absolutely recommend putting your facial mists in the fridge. Every use will deliver a blast of coolness, especially nice on a hot day where skin is more likely to be red and irritated.
- Retinol serums: Retinol products should be kept away from warm temperatures and sunlight, both of these things can reduce the effectiveness of the treatment. By placing your retinol formulas in the fridge you’re preserving and extending their shelf life.
- Eye creams: By refrigerating your eye creams and serums you’re extending their shelf life. Not only will they last longer but the cold temperature will improve their effectiveness in reducing eye puffiness.
- Sheet masks: There’s no better feeling than having a cold sheet mask on your face during a hot day. A cold sheet mask is almost like a spa treatment, promoting calmness and helping you de-stress.
- Jade rollers: Applying a cool jade roller to the face can help increase it’s effectiveness. Read more about jade rollers here…
If you’re looking for a mini fridge to store your skincare products, look no further than this Subcold Classic4 Mini Fridge Cooler, available for just £39.99. Two shelves mean plenty of space to store all of your products.
Any questions or comments? Leave them down below 🙂